Friday, October 14, 2016

Do you like it Mild or Spicy?

Some people call it rice and beans, and others just call it brown rice. I call it Waakye, it is not just rice and beans or brown rice. It is a combination of both. I grew up eating this food and I am still not tired of it yet. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it at all. Waakye is one of those foods that you can eat every single day and never get tired of it.



Waakye is one of Ghanaians favorite meal to eat for breakfast or lunch. It is Ghana's most popular food. It is cooked at home and sold on the roadside where people pass by and buy it. Waakye is rice and beans cooked together, and it's eaten with so many variety of side dishes. These side dishes could be Shito (which is the sauce on the side. It can be very spicy or mild), salad, plain spaghetti, boiled eggs, fish/chicken, and last but definitely not least is gari. Gari is my favorite side dish to eat with waakye. I like it most when it is mixed with palm oil.

Image result for gari mixed with palm oil

When gari is eaten with waakye, it gives it a crunchy taste which makes it fun to eat with the meal. Gari can be eaten with anything. In the last blog I talked about Red Red and how it is eaten. Red Red can be eaten with gari as well. Some people prefer eating gari by itself. It can be cooked with boiling water and salt, which makes it thick and starchy.

Image result for gari mixed with palm oil

Or it can be soaked in water and eaten with sauce. By the way the main focus should be on Waakye, not gari. I know anybody who reads this will be curious of how to make this Ghanaian dish. The ingredients of how to prepare it are listed below;

Ingredients

  • 2 cups of rice
  • 1 cup of red beans or black-eyed peas
  • 4 dry sorghum leaves
  • salt
  • 10 cups of water 
It is very easy to prepare. Waakye is known to originate from Ghana's Northern most region. It is served in many different ways and it's high in protein. It's also very starchy and high in carbs. This dish is able to cover two meals no matter how small the portion is. This dish is one of the tasty and well known dishes that nobody should miss. I've known Non-Africans who have tried it and they can't stop eating it. 
If you are reading my blog, do not hesitate to try making this dish because I guarantee you will love it. ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment